Discover Palm Valley & The Finke River
DISCOVERING PALM VALLEY & THE FINKE RIVER | 1-DAY TOUR SUNRISE DEPARTURE
- Sunrise over the West MacDonnell Ranges
- Red Kangaroos, Dingoes and an array of Native Birds
- Stunning contrasts and an ecosystem like no other in Australia
- The oldest watercourse in the world, River Finke
- Wander relict palms and cycads in the cool morning air
- Price: from $290 pp
- Departs March –November. Tours on application in the summer months. Excluding Good Friday.
- Pick up and drop off at all Alice Springs accommodation.
- Includes Sunrise Breakfast and trimmings, delicious morning tea and lunch with refreshments
Departing Alice before sunrise, we pass west along the MacDonnell Ranges to our vantage point to enjoy a delicious breakfast whilst watching the first rays of sun touch the ancient ranges. From here we travel through the rolling red sandstone Hermannsburg Range toward Palm Valley before the tourist crowds. After stopping at vantage points along the oldest water course in the world for stories on how this part of the world was formed, the Finke River, we head into the Kalaranga Amphitheatre for photography and a homemade morning tea.
From here it’s a challenging 4x4 track under the bright red sandstone cliffs along Palm Creek to Cycad Gorge, Here you can wander through the stunning gorge, listening to the early morning birdlife After a short but exciting drive up the Staircase, you have the choice of a stroll along the boardwalk or if your keen a 2km or 5km walk is on offer, it’s up to you how you want to spend your time meandering through these ancient relic palms.
After your walk a picnic lunch in a quiet spot finishes your morning in Palm Valley.
Then it’s decision time….
Visit the Hermannsburg Lutheran Mission, set up in the 1880s, home to Albert Namitjira
Take in the splendid afternoon colours and walk into Standley Chasm